Sunday, October 7, 2012

Shooting Today!

Okay. I'm going to animate this beast.


So far, I've only set it up in the green screen room. We don't have the program I wanted on the laptops yet, unfortunately, so I'm just going to shoot the frames raw and sequence them in after effects. I'm kind of just jumping at this with no instruction, so hopefully good ol' intuition will be enough.

I'm not using the greenscreen room, however, I'm simply using the black curtain that you can pull across the screen as the backdrop. If you've gotten a good look at the model, you'll know there's quite a bit of green all over it, so green screen wouldn't have worked anyways. For anyone unfamiliar with the green screen process, what happens is that when you apply the effect to footage, you tell the program what to recognize as "green". In any program, a specific color has a numerical value to it; when you say to the program, "hey I need this color(number) to be subtracted from the composition, it identifies anything in the frame with that value and gets rid of it. If you're not careful, you may end up subtracting bits and pieces of the thing you are trying to shoot because it has green parts (or the reflection of the green from the floor or the screen is bouncing up onto the subject which is hellishly difficult to control).

Anyways, I'm rambling. some of the things I've run into that may be troubling are:
-the space on the sd cards for the images
-the camera's battery
-keeping track of every object on the mini-set that needs to be moving for every frame.
-life itself

The space on the sd cards may not be as much of a problem because you can change them out without removing the camera from the stand. Still, I imagine keeping as much variability out of this process as possible is a good idea. The Battery on the other hand requires the camera to be shifted around quite a bit, which is death if you need the framing to be consistent for every shot of an animation. this is actually the reason for this post :/ I decided to stop and charge the batteries to avoid this. As for keeping track of everything, I've made a rubbish little chart of all of the objects:


As for life itself, sometimes that shit just sucks. But you gotta be able to dive into doing something you love to do and say, "hey screw that stuff I'm makin' science today."

Anyways, it looks like the batteries are charged now, so wish me luck! I'll post up anything that I finish today, and will probably be in this studio really late. If nothing else, because this is something I've wanted to do since I was little, and I'm already enjoying the atmosphere more than anything else I've accomplished in the last couple of years.

On that note, here is an older demo reel of some of that stuff. If you keep watching, eventually you'll catch some clips of another (more futuristic) miniature set I worked on freshman year, using the same room, and the same black backdrop. Funny how these things come full circle. Enjoy, and thank you guys for following me on this stuff. It really means a whooooole lot :)


UPDATE:
Just finished shooting and this is going to be so cool. Hold on to your potatoes, doctor Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment