Saturday, January 16, 2016

Sparrow Progress 1

        The Sparrow is the ship that I'm going to be animating. It's going to have a number of movable parts, which will prove to be an interesting building process since I want to keep it really mechanical. Most pieces before have been characters and other organic bits, which didn't need such defined articulation. That said, a lot of the materials for this little guy are going to be a lot different than what I'm used to.

The main piece is going to be carved out of wood, since it's a pretty specific form.

Balsa wood is eazy peeezy



        I've smoothed it a bit more, and tried to make it symmetrical enough- but I wont break my brain over it quite yet. I may ultimately wrap something over the front for a sleeker texture. I've appropriated some small joints and things from a few different model sets:


      I'll probably be using a few more pieces from these for the fins and smaller details, but I don't want to get carried away yet. I figured the best next step would be to make some spaces for the joints to be glued in. The 3 main moving parts are the 2 top fins and the single bottom fin. All of them are able to shift up/down and rotate in place. It's a bit of a frankenstein, and the overall design wont be as economic, but it functions ok. I wanted to make sure these would be good to go before working on the wood piece any more.

Neat

    I'm gonna sleep on it. Next chance I get to work on it, I'll probably be taking a look at the front end and fitting the cockpit into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment