Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Siskin Window

This is a short animation I've been working on for about two weeks-


Siskin Window from Wesley Cathon on Vimeo.

This is something I've been wanting to try for a little while. The concept isn't entirely new or anything; the internet has been stocked full of everlasting gifs for a long time. I think the problem with that idea, however, is that gifs are made for immediate payoff. With something like this, I wanted to glorify a really subtle moment in time. I also wanted to address the idea of how limiting a story can make the world of that story seem enormous. It's something seen a lot in children's books. The stories are told in a very simple manner so that they can be easily understood. In return, our imaginations were free to create the entire rest of the world the way we wanted to make it. It's the same idea of "not seeing the monster makes it scarier" but applied to every part of the project. I've taken away any sense of narrative, but in doing so kind of allowed anyone who sees it to come up with their own situation.

ps. the background painting and music are both mine. YeEeEaAaAaHhHh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment